ISO 50001 Energy Management System (EnMS) is a new standard designed to assist organizations implement a management system to identify and minimize energy consumption.
Implementation should reduce organizations energy costs, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and other environmental impacts.
The standard is based on the common elements found in many ISO management systems standards, which assures compatibility and easier integration with ISO 9001 (quality) and ISO 14001 (environmental) management systems and other equivalent standards.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduce energy-related operational costs through improvements in energy process efficiencies
- Provide a framework for incorporating energy efficiency into management practices
- Support energy conservation through the effective use of energy sources
- Cost savings from energy reductions
- Better methods for identifying energy performance indicators, setting objectives and targets, implementing actions to meet objectives, and periodic measurement and reporting on energy performance
- Evaluation and prioritization of new energy-efficient technologies to accomplish goals
- GHG emission reductions through more efficient energy use