OHSAS 18001 is the international Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard. It provides a framework for the effective management of OH&S including all aspects of risk management and legal compliance.
The OHSAS 18001 standard is compatible with other management systems standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 and can be easily integrated with existing quality, environmental or other management systems to obtain process efficiencies.
OHSAS 18001:2007 addresses the following key areas:
- Risk assessment and Hazard identification
- Legal and other requirements
- Competence, training and awareness
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Performance measuring, monitoring and improvement
- Reduced costs resulting from decreased down-time from fewer injuries, and reduced legal fees and penalties
- Increased awareness of OH&S hazards, risks and control measures at all levels resulting in improved conformity to requirements
- Improved compliance with e Health and Safety legislation and other requirements